Saturday, October 25, 2014


Disgruntled


This week found me disgruntled for a number of reasons. One thing that helped me to feel a little better, at least temporarily, was when I realized that I was, in fact, disgruntled. I’ve always liked that word. It’s one of those words that doesn’t really make sense when you think about its structure. Was I gruntled before I became disgruntled? Will I become gruntled once again when this feeling passes? No, because that’s not a word.

But I digress. There were at least three reasons for my disgruntledness (?).

First, my publisher is going out of business. Which means that Profile is now an orphan. I’m in the process of shopping for a new home for my writing, which means that my current writing is being delayed.

I’m considering the possibility of self-publishing. I can write, I can design covers, I can format pages, but having attempted a self-published title last year, I know I suck at the promotion part of the business.

One thing that several people have suggested is having a street team. That’s new to me, as I’ve never been involved in a street team, on either end of it. But I am looking into the options. (Anybody interested in being on my street team, should I choose to go that route, drop me a line at books@haydngrey.com.)

And lest I sound like I’m thinking only about myself, I do wish the best of luck to my former publisher.

The second point of my disgruntletude has to do with politics in the news media. I’m not talking about folks like Fox ‘News.’ Most people already know what to expect from them. I’m talking about real news providers. Like Reuters, the giant press syndicate established back in 1851. According to Wikipedia, “Reuters has a strict policy toward upholding journalistic objectivity . . . . Their policy is ‘to avoid the use of emotional terms and not make value judgments concerning the facts we attempt to report accurately and fairly’.”

Well, they definitely dropped the ball last Sunday, October 19. That was when they ran a story with the title: “Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early.”

The “news” story said:

President Barack Obama made a rare appearance on the campaign trail on Sunday with a rally to support the Democratic candidate for governor in Maryland [Lt. Governor Anthony Brown], but early departures of crowd members while he spoke underscored his continuing unpopularity.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus picked up on this and tweeted: “Hugely unpopular Obama made campaign trail appearance… people leave early.” And somebody else responded, “I heard that. They were jamming the doors to get out.”

Sure sounds bad. Only problem is this isn’t what happened. According to witnesses who were actually there, Obama delivered his speech to a packed auditorium. In fact, it was so packed that there was even a crowd outside that couldn’t get in. The atmosphere in the auditorium, a sold out crowd of 8,000, was compared to that at a concert, complete with screaming fans. But yes, there was a handful of people in the press who filed out after having gotten the photographs they were there for.

Now I’m not going to use this platform to air my politics. I have mine, you have yours, and we’re both entitled to them. What really gets my panties in a twist is the blatant lying that takes place, in the attack ads that litter commercial breaks, and now even in the ‘accurate and fair’ media. As a result, elections are corrupted, not only by the opposition, but also by those who may honestly and innocently believe their propaganda. Please check the facts before casting a vote!

There are a number of independent fact checker websites where research can be done. Yes, it takes a little time and work, but if you’re voting for people to serve your country, shouldn’t you know what you’re voting for?

My point is if you don’t like Obama (or anybody else, for that matter), that’s fine. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion. Just make sure your dislike is based on facts instead of on the opposition’s spin and propaganda.

My third point of disgruntlosity concerns the flurry of “news” that happened on Wednesday about actress RenĂ©e Zellweger. I’ll admit I’ve never been that much of a fan. I don’t dislike her at all. She’s a fine actress, she just never really did it for me. But what happened this past week would have been beyond stupid no matter who it was about. After being out of the public eye for about three years, the actress made an appearance at Elle's Women in Hollywood celebration in Beverly Hills.

And Twitter didn’t rest! The media in general had a field day. “News” stories were filed. People were carrying on all day long about how different she looked, some even calling her unrecognizable. Plastic surgeons were consulted and interviewed about what may or may not have been done to her.

In the side-by-side photos that were posted of her, yes her eyes looked different, she looked leaner, and a little older. She’s been out of the spotlight for a few years, so that’s bound to happen. But overall, she looked great.

I’m not going to speculate about whether she had work done or not. Because what difference does it make? I am so completely done with people who put so much emphasis on looks. Particularly other people’s looks, as if they themselves are perfect. I thought this “news” was ridiculous when I first saw it on Wednesday morning, and it only got worse. Whether it was time that changed her or cosmetic procedures, who cares? And if she did decide to have some cosmetic surgery done, so the hell what?!

“I’m glad folks think I look different,” she responded. “I’m living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I’m thrilled that perhaps it shows.” She handled it very graciously, without name calling or cursing.

In other words, better than I would have.

Well, that about does it for my disgruntality. I feel a little better now. Sorry if it rubbed off and now you’re pissed.


Maybe you can write a blog post. It’s a great way of getting rid of disgruntlization.

No comments:

Post a Comment